For the purpose of signal modernization and 5G spectrum implementation in the Railways, the Union Government will be spending a sum of Rs 25,000 crore, according to the statement given by Union Minister Prakash Javadekar on Wednesday.
Alongside, the Railways which presently utilizes optical fiber will also be given 5 megahertz spectrum in a 700 MHz band.
Prakash Javadekar took to Twitter to share the details. He tweeted, “Rs 25,000 crores will be spent in the next five years for signal modernization and 5G spectrum implementation in Railways. Railways will be provided with 5 megahertz spectrum in 700 MHz band.”
He further added, “It will improve its communication system and make rail travel safer. Railway currently uses optical fibre. With the availability of spectrum, there will be radio communication.”
Javadekar also revealed the Union Cabinet had given approval for the extension of the applicability of New Investment Policy (NIP)-2012 read with its amendment to the Ramagundam Fertilizers and Chemicals Limited.
(With inputs from ANI)
- Bengaluru metro to function on weekdays, closed on weekends from July 1
- India provides reciprocal exemption of EU Digital COVID Certificate to include Covishield, Covaxin
- PM Modi will address the Digital India beneficiaries at 11 am tomorrow
- Pvt hospitals will obtain Covid vaccine doses via CoWIN starting from July 1
- DGCA further extends the ban on international flights till July 31 due to Covid-19