The State Election Commission have declared the schedule for a two-phased polls for more than 5,700 gram panchayats in Karnataka.
The first phase of the elections to be scheduled for December 22, which will cover 2,930 gram panchayats and the second phase will be conducted on December 27 which will cover 2,832 gram panchayats.
The results will be released on December 30.
The elections are being conducted even with apprehension from the state government, and had directed SEC to prolong the polls due to Coronavirus disease. The elections are being conducted after High Court’s order.
State Election Commissioner B Basavraju stated 5,762 gram panchayats will enter the polls. He said, “There are 162 gram panchayats whose term ends after December 2020, six whose election cases are in court, 74 that are either completely (33) or partially (41) upgraded to town panchayats are exempt from elections.”
The overall electorate strength for the polls would be 2,97,1,048, which comprises of 1,49,71,676 are men, 1,47,41,964 are w9men and the third gender includes 1,048. Following the SOPs, every polling booths will have only 1,000 to 1,500 voters.
The timings for the polling will be between 7 am to 5 pm, and the Covid-19 voters will be casting their ballot in the last hour of voting said Basavraju.
- Bengaluru metro to function on weekdays, closed on weekends from July 1
- India provides reciprocal exemption of EU Digital COVID Certificate to include Covishield, Covaxin
- PM Modi will address the Digital India beneficiaries at 11 am tomorrow
- Pvt hospitals will obtain Covid vaccine doses via CoWIN starting from July 1
- DGCA further extends the ban on international flights till July 31 due to Covid-19