On April 17, voting had taken place for Belgaum Lok Sabha along with Maski and Basavakalyan constituencies on April 17.
For the bypoll, a total of 30 candidates were in the competition with 10 in Belgaum, 12 in Basavakalyan and 8 in Maski, as per the Chief election officer.
The counting of the votes has commenced on 8 am with stringent vigilance as per the Chief election officer. Several policemen were allotted with duties at the location to assure the Covid-19 protocols is being adhered to any situation of law and order is at bay.
The police officials have imposed a ban on political processions or celebrations together in groups considering the rising cases of Covid-19.
As per the officials, the counting procedure for Belgaum LS bypoll is underway at Rani Parvati Devi College in Tilakwadi of Belagavi, SRS PU College at Raichur for Maski Assembly Segment and BY Bhoomaraddi College in Bidar for counting for Basavakalyan constituency.
All the returning officers, counting officers, journalist, poll personnel, policemen in the counting centres to have a negative RT-PCR test mandatorily to keep the Covid-19 transmission in control. The bypolls in Belagavi and Basavakalyan comes after the death of sitting public representatives- Suresh Angadi (BJP), B Narayan Rao (Congress) due to Covid-19 and the seat of Maski got vacant by disqualification of Congress MLA Prathapagouda Patil.
- Bengaluru metro to function on weekdays, closed on weekends from July 1
- India provides reciprocal exemption of EU Digital COVID Certificate to include Covishield, Covaxin
- PM Modi will address the Digital India beneficiaries at 11 am tomorrow
- Pvt hospitals will obtain Covid vaccine doses via CoWIN starting from July 1
- DGCA further extends the ban on international flights till July 31 due to Covid-19