Sushil Chandra, the current Election Commissioner will be taking over as the next Chief Election Commissioner, according to the sources on Sunday.
Following up the convention of electing the most senior person from the election commissioners as the CEC, the government has had cleared his name for the leading post of Nirvachan Sadan.
The sources revealed the order of his elevation maybe released any possible time.
Chandra will take charge of the post on April 13, a day post the incumbent Sunil Arora leaves the office.
Chandra was given the post of Election Commissioner on February 14, 2019 prior to the Lok Sabha elections. He would be leaving the office on May 14, 2022.
The Election Commissioner would conduct assembly polls under him for the alloted states of Goa, Manipur, Uttarakhand, Punjab and Uttar Pradesh. The tenure of the government for the assemblies of Goa, Manipur, Uttarakhand and Punjab will end on several dates of March 2022.
The new assemblies are required to be constituted prior to ending of the five years old tenure. Before joining the poll panel, Sushil Chandra was the chairman of the Central Board of Direct Taxes.
- Melukote – Vairamudi Festival – 2022
- Bengaluru metro to function on weekdays, closed on weekends from July 1
- India provides reciprocal exemption of EU Digital COVID Certificate to include Covishield, Covaxin
- PM Modi will address the Digital India beneficiaries at 11 am tomorrow
- Pvt hospitals will obtain Covid vaccine doses via CoWIN starting from July 1