As the monsoon session of the parliament commences today, Harivansh, from the ruling NDA alliance is appointed as the Deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha.
As a part of the pre-session proceedings, 17 members of the Lok Sabha, had to be tested for Covid-19 , were found to be infected with Coronavirus. BJP has the most number of infected members – 12, 2 members from YSR Congress and one from Shiv Sena, DMK and RLP each.
PM Narendra Modi, ahead of the session, delivered a strong message about the Ladakh standoff. He said, “We hope parliament and all members will unitedly send the message that the nation stands with our soldiers.”
From the indefinite adjourned parliament sessions in March due to the Coronavirus global emergency, the government will be working on listed 23 legislations for consideration and passing 11 bills.
Highlights of the first day of Monsoon Parliament Session 2020:
- The position of Deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha was given to ruling alliance NDA candidate Harivansh.
- In the honour of former President late Pranab Mukherjee, the Rajya Sabha was adjourned for an hour.
- Parliament has given approval to two bills for ensuring quality medicine education for homeopathy.
- 11 bills will be replacing ordinances issued since the month of March.
- Leaders of the majority of the parties have agreed over no Question Hour and Zero Hour, said Rajnath Singh
Over the move of no Question Hour, Congress MP Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury strongly criticized the government, saying they are trying to ‘strangulate the democracy.’ “Question Hour is the golden hour but you say that it can’t be held due to the circumstances. You conduct the proceedings but single out Question Hour. You are trying to strangulate the democracy,” Ranjan told ANI.