The Public Distribution Centre (PDS) card holders in the state of Karnataka will be receiving 5 kg of rice free for each one for the month of May and June as per following the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana (PMGKAY).
According to the official release from the Food Corporation of India (FCI), the stocks have been released from the side of FCI and the state Food and Civil supplies Department has initiated lifting the stock from the FCI godowns.
During the beginning of Covid-19 pandemic last year, the PMGKAY was introduced to help the people struggling through crisis. As per the data given by FCI officials, the government had provided the supply of free rice following the PMGKY scheme between the period from March to October 2020. This ration is the add-on to the already provided ration to the PDS beneficiaries. For the state of Karnataka, there are about 4 crore beneficiaries for the PDS scheme.
Alongside, Opposition leader Siddaramaiah has raised the demand to allot 10 kg of rice for every person along with other several essential items, Siddaramaiah posted a tweet on Thursday, “People are at home without jobs due to lockdown in the state. They are finding it difficult to afford even basic essentials.”
He also mentioned about the demand of the Congress party of sacking Food and Civil Supplies Minister Umesh Katti. The minister was highly criticized with the comment passed by him for a farmer – “Go, die” on being asked why the government had cut down on the supply of rice.
- Bengaluru metro to function on weekdays, closed on weekends from July 1
- India provides reciprocal exemption of EU Digital COVID Certificate to include Covishield, Covaxin
- PM Modi will address the Digital India beneficiaries at 11 am tomorrow
- Pvt hospitals will obtain Covid vaccine doses via CoWIN starting from July 1
- DGCA further extends the ban on international flights till July 31 due to Covid-19