Indian Ambassador to United Nations TS Tirumurti expressed his gratitude to all the UN Member States after India’s entry into the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) on Monday (local time).
Tirumurti wrote on Twitter, “I thank all Member States of the @UN for their vote of confidence in India for #ECOSOC.”
The ECOSOC is at the centre for the UN development system and draws together people and the issues to encourage collective action for a sustainable world.
Earlier, on Monday, 18 states were selected for ECOSOC, the coordinating body taking charge for the economic and social work of UN agencies and funds which will be for a span f three years, according to Xinhua.
The results were declared by President of the Genreral Assembly Volkan Bozhir post voting through secret ballot system. Besides India, the other countries a part of ECOSOC are Cote d’lvoire, Eswatini, Mauritius, Tunisia, Tanzania from Afrucan states; Afghanistan, Kazakhstan, Oman from Asia-Pacific states; Croatia, the Czech Republic as a part of states from Eastern Europe, Belize, Chile, Peru from Latin America and Carribean states along with Western European countries like Belgium, Italy and Canada and the United States.
All of them are appointed for the tenure commencing from January 1, 2022 with a total of 54 members.
(with ANI inputs)
- Melukote – Vairamudi Festival – 2022
- Bengaluru metro to function on weekdays, closed on weekends from July 1
- India provides reciprocal exemption of EU Digital COVID Certificate to include Covishield, Covaxin
- PM Modi will address the Digital India beneficiaries at 11 am tomorrow
- Pvt hospitals will obtain Covid vaccine doses via CoWIN starting from July 1