Pune-based Serum Institute of India (SII) is planning to launch Covovax in India till September, according to the people aware of the development revealed to ANI. Covovax is a type of Covid-19 vaccine developed by US-based firm Novavax. The SII further declared that it will initiate clinical trials of Novavax for children by the month of July.
On June 14, the US-based biotech firm revealed that the vaccine candidate has proven to be effective against the emerging strains of Covid-19 in the large trial. This will be the fourth vaccine to be approved by the US. Novavax Inc declared that the vaccination shots are 90 % efficacious for the prevention of symptomatic Covid-19 and have 100 % efficacy at preventing moderate to severe symptoms.
The vaccine candidate has proven to be 93 % effective against variants of concern, from the test results of the secondary analysis which consists of cases of alpha variant, which is highly prevalent in the US. The vaccine is developed from recombinant protein technology. With more than 90% overall efficacy, the candidate’s effectivity is parallel to the reported rates of Pfizer Inc. with BioNTech SE and by Moderna Inc., as well as the Sputnik V vaccine from Russia, all of them are utilizing viral vector technology.
- Bengaluru metro to function on weekdays, closed on weekends from July 1
- India provides reciprocal exemption of EU Digital COVID Certificate to include Covishield, Covaxin
- PM Modi will address the Digital India beneficiaries at 11 am tomorrow
- Pvt hospitals will obtain Covid vaccine doses via CoWIN starting from July 1
- DGCA further extends the ban on international flights till July 31 due to Covid-19