The Chief Minister of Karnataka, BS Yediyurappa has passed an order on Tuesday directing for the formulation of a ‘Karnataka Veerashaiva-Lingayat Development Board’ post a lot of pressure by the legislators triggered him to pass the move.
As much as 16% of the state’s population accounts to the Veerashaiva-Lingayat community and can be deliberated as a major backing for the BJP. Moreover, even Yediyurappa belongs to this part of the community.
This move comes after issuing the order for creation of ‘Maratha Development Authority’ a few days ago, which was taken considering the Basavakalyan assembly constituency. There is a higher ratio of Marathas in the constituency area.
For the Maratha community, Yediyurappa had set aside Rs. 50 crore, while the exact amount for the Veerashaiva-Lingayat Development Board has not been revealed.
In a note addressed to Chief Secretary TM Vijay Bhaskar, Yediyurappa stated, “Veerashaiva-Lingayats form a large community in the state, many of whom are economically, socially and educationally backward.”
The chief minster further iterated the board formulated for the development of the community will be existing with immediate effect for the members of the community.
After Yediyurappa issued a body for Marathas, it was the Lingayat BJP legislators comprising of Deputy Chief Minister Laxman Savadi and Housing Minister V Somanna along with Agriculture Minister BC Patil who demanded for a separate body.
- Bengaluru metro to function on weekdays, closed on weekends from July 1
- India provides reciprocal exemption of EU Digital COVID Certificate to include Covishield, Covaxin
- PM Modi will address the Digital India beneficiaries at 11 am tomorrow
- Pvt hospitals will obtain Covid vaccine doses via CoWIN starting from July 1
- DGCA further extends the ban on international flights till July 31 due to Covid-19